International Education & Global Engagement
  • Change of Status to F-1

    Students looking to change their current non-immigrant status to F-1 student status are welcome to discuss the following options with an international student advisor:

    • Returning back to the home country and apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy (certain students are exempt from the visa requirement, i.e. Canadians); or
    • Apply for a Change of Status within the United States to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) through the ELIS program on line (restrictions apply to certain non-immigrants).


    • Step One
        • Eligibility for F-1 Status itself
        • Eligibility for change of Status in general
          1. Timely filing of application;
          2. Validity of current non-immigrant status 
      • Non-Immigrants Not Permitted to Change Status to F-1 within the U.S.:
        • M-1 students
        • C, D, K, and S nonimmigrants
        • J-1 physicians admitted to receive graduate medical education or training
        • J nonimmigrants subject to the 212(e) 2-year foreign residence requirement
        • Aliens admitted as visitors under 8 C.F.R. § 212.1€
        • WT and WB visitors admitted under the Visa Waiver Program
      • Non-Immigrants Not Allowed to Enroll at CSULB prior to Approval of F-1 Status:
        • B-1, B-2 (tourist) and F-2 (dependents)
    • Step Two
      • Make appointment with the Designated School Official in the CIE office to discuss eligibility requirements.
    • Step Three
      1. Leave the U.S. and apply for F-1 status in home country: or
      2. Apply for Change of Status through the ELIS program.