An F-1 student may be authorized by the DSO to participate in a curricular practical training (CPT) program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. CPT is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school (Revised effective 1/1/03; 67 FR 76256). In practical terms, ‘integral part of an established curriculum’ means an opportunity must be required by the curriculum or, if not required, the student must receive credit for the training” (www.nafsa.org
- Must be in status at the time of the application and have been in lawful F-1 status for one full academic year (nine months) preceding the CPT application.
- Please note: Students in graduate degree programs that require immediate practicum hours are exempted from the one full academic year requirement. Transfer students may use the time spent in lawful F-1 status in the previous school to fulfill this requirement.
- Must be enrolled for a full course load or approved for reduced course work before applying for CPT.
- Must have a valid CPT employment/internship/training offer related to the student’s major area of study.
- Must be in good academic standing (3.0 or higher for Graduate Students and 2.0 or higher for Undergraduates).
Submit the CPT Application
including the following documents to the CIE office (BH-201) at least 2 weeks prior to the anticipated start date of the CPT.
- A valid letter from prospective employer/internship site stating terms of CPT (must follow sample letter).
- CPT Request Form (Fill out Section One).
- Department Approval Form (Have your department or faculty advisor fill out and sign the form).
- A purpose statement describing how your CPT will relate and be integral to your academic program.
- A copy of your class schedule showing full time enrollment or RCL courses. Your schedule must show the CPT approved course listed in the Department Approval Form.
- If you already advanced to candidacy, a copy of the Advancement to Candidacy Worksheet.
- Please note: Regardless of the date you indicate in your CPT request form, your CPT will commence only upon approval by your CIE advisor.
Please allow 7-10 business days for your application to be processed and for the issuance of a new I-20. The time needed to apply for a social security number is not included in the two weeks CIE requires to process your CPT application.
You will be notified by the CIE office when the new I-20 is ready for pick-up.
***Do not engage in any work activity without prior authorization!***
CPT HOURS AND LIMITATIONS
- You may begin curricular practical training only after receiving CPT approval in Form I-20 from the international student advisor.
- You may not change your CPT employer/internship without prior authorization.
- You may work up to 20 hrs. per week (part-time) during the Fall and Spring semesters and 21+ hrs. per week (full-time) during the Summer and Winter Sessions.
- Students who have received 12 months or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion optional practical training (OPT).
- Any type of work activity, even when required for a class must be approved through the CPT application process.